6.24.2005

Good news...

First, let me apologize. I have been a bad blogger. I have been missing in action. I have been ordering an iBook so I can post more often than when I have a good hour to spend at my desk at home. The future is bright, dear readers.

Two things today:

1) With the support of my local Planned Parenthood grassroots organizer, I met with my state representative this week to discuss the special session that our young buck governor has threatened to call this September (read the post below). He is a mixed-choice legislator and I wanted to see where he stood on the issues at hand, and also to make sure that the pro-choice perspective was in front of him as he thinks through the legislation and considers his vote.

It was empowering. I was actually making a small difference. He was honest and admitted that we had given him something to chew on, some new arguments he was not aware of, and exposed some misinformation. He is personally anti-choice, but has a good helping of respect for the Constitution and a refreshing amount of common sense.

I sat there with my coffee and my scone and talked to this man for an hour. Maybe this democracy thing actually works...


2) LET'S HEAR IT FOR NEW YORK!!!

On Wednesday, the New York State Senate passed a bill that will allow pharmacists and nurses to dispense emergency contraception to girls and women of any age without a prescription. Given that emergency contraception is only effective during the first 72 hours after intercourse and most physicians don't work weekends and some physicians might not want to write the controversial prescription, this is a huge victory for girls and women in New York state.

I hope Governor Pataki signs the bill and other states follow suit once they see that girls and women are not running around having rampant and irresponsible sex as a result of the passage of this legislation. This bill is about women taking responsibility, not giving it away.

I [heart] New York!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home