The Horizon
Not too far ahead, the horizon is alternately dark and starry, clear and cloudy. Well, mostly cloudy. But the point is this: big things are over there. Looming things that require attention, care and feeding.
The first of these things was tossed up onto the horizon by my buddy Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. She is resigning from the nation's high court. She beat Rehnquist in the game to get out quickest, fooling pundits and the public, leaving in a whirlwind, her black robes flowing behind her as she smirked her way out of the next session. I was certainly surprised. I had just sighed in relief to hear that the Chief Justice was hanging in there for another go round. And then this.
NOW has pledged to follow through with a resolution to enact civil disobedience if faced with the prospective nomination of a conservative judge from the radical right. Conservatives have pledged to make noise if Gonzales is nominated to replace O'Connor. Right to Life anti-choice groups are mobilizing across the country, preparing to make the most noise without anyone outside of DC hearing it. They are a snarky group. I don't know what the Bush camp has in mind, but someone is going to be pissed off.
As I celebrate my independence, I am taking steps to contribute my time to the Planned Parenthood and NARAL efforts, doing my part to ensure a moderate voice on the Bench. There are several things you can do if this is an issue you care about, especially as it relates to the future of women's rights in this country.
1. Volunteer.
2. Donate.
3. Get your friends to volunteer.
4. Talk about the issues.
5. Call your senators and representatives.
6. Call the White House and tell Bush what you think.
7. Write a letter to the editor about your views.
8. Practice voodoo on the President.*
*The least effective, most satisfying option. Combine with at least one other item for maximum results.
On other fronts, the CPB funding was spared from the bloody Republican axe by a good healthy margin. Whew. Yet another non-issue-turned-issue resolved.
Last week, my favorite photographer and I took three kids to their first baseball game ever. I have pictures. They will be posted, with a report of the action, on Tuesday.
Happy 4th. Don't blow your eye out.
The first of these things was tossed up onto the horizon by my buddy Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. She is resigning from the nation's high court. She beat Rehnquist in the game to get out quickest, fooling pundits and the public, leaving in a whirlwind, her black robes flowing behind her as she smirked her way out of the next session. I was certainly surprised. I had just sighed in relief to hear that the Chief Justice was hanging in there for another go round. And then this.
NOW has pledged to follow through with a resolution to enact civil disobedience if faced with the prospective nomination of a conservative judge from the radical right. Conservatives have pledged to make noise if Gonzales is nominated to replace O'Connor. Right to Life anti-choice groups are mobilizing across the country, preparing to make the most noise without anyone outside of DC hearing it. They are a snarky group. I don't know what the Bush camp has in mind, but someone is going to be pissed off.
As I celebrate my independence, I am taking steps to contribute my time to the Planned Parenthood and NARAL efforts, doing my part to ensure a moderate voice on the Bench. There are several things you can do if this is an issue you care about, especially as it relates to the future of women's rights in this country.
1. Volunteer.
2. Donate.
3. Get your friends to volunteer.
4. Talk about the issues.
5. Call your senators and representatives.
6. Call the White House and tell Bush what you think.
7. Write a letter to the editor about your views.
8. Practice voodoo on the President.*
*The least effective, most satisfying option. Combine with at least one other item for maximum results.
On other fronts, the CPB funding was spared from the bloody Republican axe by a good healthy margin. Whew. Yet another non-issue-turned-issue resolved.
Last week, my favorite photographer and I took three kids to their first baseball game ever. I have pictures. They will be posted, with a report of the action, on Tuesday.
Happy 4th. Don't blow your eye out.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home