If you want something done...
...give a man a cookie. I tested this theory this morning on my boss.
A little background, dear reader: Next week, I want a day away from my ultra-luxe beige padded cubicle. Why is that, you ask? Why, to go to the World Taxidermy Championships, of course!
My favorite photo-maker and I are taking a field trip to visit some dead, stuffed, mounted mammals in the breadbasket of America's heartland. Aside from our mutual love of dead, stuffed, and mounted mammals and fish, he is preparing for a gallery show in June, a collection of fine photos exploring the paradoxes of this bizarre art form. And I'm tagging along because I have some questions for the bizarre, fishing-vest and camo clad artists. For example, why are some of the best stuffers and mounters in the business also ardent naturalists and conservationists? When's the last time you loved something so much, you wanted to mount its head in your livingroom? You see why I am interested, yes?
Now, you can't just go to your boss and tell him that you want to have a day off to go interview some taxidermists about their weirdness (weirdnesses?). No. You have to offer him a cookie, and then ask your question as he enjoys your generosity and takes care not to get any of it stuck in his mustache. At this point, he is sufficiently distracted and feeling the warm waves of your (manipulation) good will. Tell him you will "do some work from home" and he will grant you just about anything.
So next Thursday I will drive a couple of hours and spend my day, press pass in hand, talking it up with some shooters, stuffers, and mounters. I promise to tell you all about it.
A little background, dear reader: Next week, I want a day away from my ultra-luxe beige padded cubicle. Why is that, you ask? Why, to go to the World Taxidermy Championships, of course!
My favorite photo-maker and I are taking a field trip to visit some dead, stuffed, mounted mammals in the breadbasket of America's heartland. Aside from our mutual love of dead, stuffed, and mounted mammals and fish, he is preparing for a gallery show in June, a collection of fine photos exploring the paradoxes of this bizarre art form. And I'm tagging along because I have some questions for the bizarre, fishing-vest and camo clad artists. For example, why are some of the best stuffers and mounters in the business also ardent naturalists and conservationists? When's the last time you loved something so much, you wanted to mount its head in your livingroom? You see why I am interested, yes?
Now, you can't just go to your boss and tell him that you want to have a day off to go interview some taxidermists about their weirdness (weirdnesses?). No. You have to offer him a cookie, and then ask your question as he enjoys your generosity and takes care not to get any of it stuck in his mustache. At this point, he is sufficiently distracted and feeling the warm waves of your (manipulation) good will. Tell him you will "do some work from home" and he will grant you just about anything.
So next Thursday I will drive a couple of hours and spend my day, press pass in hand, talking it up with some shooters, stuffers, and mounters. I promise to tell you all about it.


1 Comments:
Taming a boss is alot like taming a cat, as they get ready to attack you, distract them with something more desireable, i.e. a cookie. I suggest you shoot your boss, stuff him, and take him with you as a date.
Post a Comment
<< Home