1.26.2007

Readers beware!

So, I write so irregularly now that I suffer from guilt every time I even consider looking at my blog. I have so much going on in my brain, what with all the readings for class, but I can't ever think of anything worthwhile to write about. So I've decided to drop the pretense that anyone reads this thing but me and a few close compadres. Which means you're in for some brain-dump posts: ideas for research, thoughts about my current work, as well as the usual musings.

Whenever I'm writing, keep in mind that I'm procrastinating. I should be reading a book about gender concepts for my class on Monday. But I'm not.

On the topic of that class, however, I have a few ideas for articles. The class focus is gender, queerness, and popular culture...I'm thinking of ways to work this up to fit in my research on the working class. I could research the transition of the masculine ideal from pre-WWII labor to post-WWII white-collar spiff; I could take a look at the exclusion of women of color from women's working class "pink collar" occupations; I would love to take a look at "prosperity theology" and the effective depoliticizing of the black working class, but I don't think I could put a gender lens on that. I could examine the exclusion of women from "Black Leadership" (capital B, capital L) and, in a related sense, from church leadership. Hmmm...

I am revising my Homer G. Phillips Hospital article from last semester - preparing it for submission to the Journal of Social History. It would be such a boost to have the article selected - even for review, never mind publication. Publication in that journal would be so great as to almost be unthinkable. But I've been encouraged. So I'll give it a go.

I have been immersed in a theory course for the past couple of weeks, taking a good hard look at the concepts of literary theory and historiography - both sound exceptionally boring but are actually exceptionally engaging. I can now win friends and impress neighbors with my adept use of such high-dollar words as poststructuralism, hermeneutics, dialectic, and semiotics. Oh yeah. Come on, feel the noise.

Next week: my new love affair with three big-brained cultural critics. You know you're excited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home