Caffeine, please.
So, I started my workday at 6 a.m. this morning. Did a photo shoot for a new brochure to market the services of the nonprofit where I toil away the days until August 18 (the day I will most gladly resign from this last development position and enter the gleaming, romanticized world of academia). It was very early. I was very tired. I had a sour stomach, and the designer I am working with insisted that we tromp across the park to another location halfway through the shoot. Oy.
With the shoot finally over, I got to the office at about 8:30, poured myself some flat diet soda, and began to fantasize about capping off my 8-hour workday by leaving at 3. I don't even drink diet soda, but it was the only form of caffeine within reach at the office. Hello, aftertaste!
And then my boss comes into my office. Her hair is flying all over the place, her stack of papers is all out of alignment an threatening to fall on the floor, her eyes are tired. It's only 10 a.m. This is because we're facing the possiblility of losing a large federal revenue source. It's a very big, very hairy deal that she's been dealing with for almost two weeks. She needs me to stay "possibly into the evening" tonight to help format a manual that must be in Jefferson City tomorrow morning to help the lawyers defend our appeal.
Yes, of course this would happen today. And of course it would be an emergency. Of course.
By 5, if I'm still here, I will need to staple my eyelids open. Staple them right to my forehead because that is the only way I will stay awake. I will scare my boss with this tactic, but maybe she won't ask me to stay late again.
Maybe I'll just stay until it's done and deal with my fatigue in a mature manner.
I will be so glad to be done with this aggravating profession. Fundraising is for people who like to work really, really hard with no guarantee of success. Sounds like fun, no? I'd much rather be doing this, talking to these folks, or learning more about this.
With the shoot finally over, I got to the office at about 8:30, poured myself some flat diet soda, and began to fantasize about capping off my 8-hour workday by leaving at 3. I don't even drink diet soda, but it was the only form of caffeine within reach at the office. Hello, aftertaste!
And then my boss comes into my office. Her hair is flying all over the place, her stack of papers is all out of alignment an threatening to fall on the floor, her eyes are tired. It's only 10 a.m. This is because we're facing the possiblility of losing a large federal revenue source. It's a very big, very hairy deal that she's been dealing with for almost two weeks. She needs me to stay "possibly into the evening" tonight to help format a manual that must be in Jefferson City tomorrow morning to help the lawyers defend our appeal.
Yes, of course this would happen today. And of course it would be an emergency. Of course.
By 5, if I'm still here, I will need to staple my eyelids open. Staple them right to my forehead because that is the only way I will stay awake. I will scare my boss with this tactic, but maybe she won't ask me to stay late again.
Maybe I'll just stay until it's done and deal with my fatigue in a mature manner.
I will be so glad to be done with this aggravating profession. Fundraising is for people who like to work really, really hard with no guarantee of success. Sounds like fun, no? I'd much rather be doing this, talking to these folks, or learning more about this.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home